Tuesday, February 10, 2009


The first mountains of the trip!





Tonight we ended up in Casper, Wyoming. We drove another 700 miles today, give or take a few. Today was interesting... we turned off Route 80 and then 25 to stop off at a few random towns. Chappell and Sidney, Nebraska and then Chugwater, Wyoming. Each was small, Chappell only having approximately 900 people. I love small towns, and wished Kalispell, my final destination was a small town.
We saw many more hawks today, and two bald eagles - when all seemed boring, nature decided to surprise us. In Nebraska we drove through an area that had thousands upon thousands of migrating birds. It reminded me of Edgar Allen Poe there were so many, flying in different directions, some landing on the small lakes, some continuing on to wherever their final destination was. I thought how fitting it was that I was migrating on my own path, for a short 10 months, to a different place to call home, just as the birds were. I keep reminding myself I will return, whether it is right after my service or not, just as the birds will return to their homes eventually. It was quite a sight.
When my dad drove I could not sleep at one point, because the tires were making this humming noise, and it literally sounded like a symphony under the cars. It was the craziest thing, that sounds just like that of a band could be heard from underneath the truck. I did eventually sleep, because as many know, I can fall asleep anywhere and at any time. It is a gift and curse.
Coldplay has been the CD of choice on this roadtrip. Their new CD is amazing, and their choice of Grammy attire was creative and so unique. Yes, we did stop driving to watch the Bachelor and the Grammys, I know, pathetic. I won't even go in to my thoughts about those...
But while I was driving, the lyrics, "such a perfect day" were being sung, and there couldn't have been more accurate. Open sky, open land, open road. The speed limit is 75 almost the whole route, so you're driving with only a few other random cars and some tractor trailers, going 85, and seeing some of the most beautiful scenery... what a perfect day. My mind trails off when I drive, especially during this trip, because I can't help but wonder about what this land used to look like, and wish with all my heart that I could have seen it. The land is open, yes, but at one time there were no cars, no fences, no trucks, no roads, power lines, houses... nothing, there was NOTHING - that would truly be open land. I wish I could have seen that.
We stopped at a Runza - a Czech fast food joint only existing in Nebraska. Not a bad little establishment. It was recommended to me by a good friend, so I had to stop!
My dad has randomly told me stories about his journeys out west when he was younger - like the one when he drove his Camaro across the country and a military helicopter drove beside him, like they were racing and then sped off... people have so many stories, and are so fascinating... I love that. We spoke with a woman in Chugwater, Nebraska, who sells Chugwater Chili - a mix that you add to your chili to give it some kick - and turns out, she is from Sellersville, which is a half hour from my home town in Pennsylvania... small world, eh? I did buy some Chugwater Chili by the way, because wherever I go, I have to try the places chili - so far on this trip I have had 3 different kinds. I also met a family who was moving from Tennessee to Casper, Wyoming - and I thought that was pretty random, until I was reminded by someone who always tells it like it is, just how random moving from Pennsylvania to Montana is... and, ya, guess it is... O well...

No comments:

Post a Comment